Friday, January 17, 2014

First week of classes

I have been so busy! On Monday I started class, 6am, we took a placement test that consisted of answering 10 questions about basic pastry techniques and then we had to make eclairs, pastry cream, lady fingers, and creme anglaise. One of my chefs barely spoke english so it's a little difficult but throughout the week he learned a lot more. 

After class we went to a first aid class that was taught by two ladies that don't even speak English. So a lady from the school had to sit in and translate, it's very difficult to pay attention to people when you don't understand anything they're saying! During class our chefs came in to inform us of our grades from the placement test, and turns out that they had to fail the whole group because most people weren't up to par with the experience they require for the perfecting corse. (So it was basically all or none) so this week they gave us a week long review of the basic classical French techniques. Then on Friday they would retest us and see who had the potential to move onto the perfecting course. (three people would have to drop down to level 1 after Friday) I had been relatively confident about my placement test so it was a huge shock to me to hear the news. 

Tuesday in class we made eclairs, tart dough, lime custard, and pastry cream. It's all things i've done before at Johnson and Wales so it wasn't anything new to me. The whole school is very similar to JWU so I got the hang of things very quickly. After class we went to a demo put on by a professional pastry chef, he made all sorts of entremets. The demo was four hours long and he didn't speak any English, there was just an assistant chef there translating for him. It's very difficult not speaking French here, but I'm starting to pick up bits and pieces. 

Wednesday in class we just did more eclairs, filled them, glazed them, ate them. THEY'RE SO AMAZING. We also prepped stuff for our paris-brest (ring of pâté a choux) and our charlotte (entrement with lady fingers, cream, and fruit). 

Thursday in class we finished our Paris-brest and lime tart. The lime tart was topped with raspberry meringue which was seriously incredible. The paris-brest is filled with a parliné mousse that I wish I could explain how delicious it is. EVERYTHING IS SO GOOD. IT KILLS ME. Then after class today I did laundry, in my shower, because the laundry mat charges 8€ for a load of wash and then .5€ for 5 minutes of a dryer! Insane. I feel so broke over here. Hah today I also had the best lunch I've had here yet. It was beef in gravy with mushrooms and carrots, with couscous that had bell peppers, onions, and cilantro in it. 

Today in class we finished up all of our products from the week and displayed them on a buffet table. Everything came out awesome. We had napoleons, lime tarts with raspberry meringue, charlottes, apple tarts, and paris-brests. It's all so incredible and I was actually really happy about all my product. After class we got re-evaluated and my chef tried convincing me that I failed and had to drop down to level 1. It was not very funny! Hah but they said that I'm doing well, and obviously perfecting course material. (I don't know why I was even nervous!) 

Tonight we're all just hanging out (and drinking!) they drink wine like it's water over here. It's amazing. lol this weekend we're renting a mini bus and driving out to Lyon so I'll be off the grid all weekend but I'll try to post on Monday. It's getting really busy around here (which is a good thing!)

I'm missing home just a little bit, but I'm trying to stay busy since it's still so early! Hah I can't believe it's only been a week, I feel like I've been here forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment